Skip the store-bought and make strawberry shortcake completely from scratch. With only a handful of basic ingredients, you can make tall fluffy sweet biscuits. Layer them with juicy strawberries and just a few ingredients fresh whipped cream for a totally unforgettable summer dessert. Everyone needs this recipe!
- 1 1/2 pounds Strawberries Stemmed and quartered
- 2 cups Flour
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
- Heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Freshly grated lemon zest
- Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove shortcakes from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
- Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
- Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.