Spanish Tortilla with Manchego and Green Olives
Dense with onions, potatoes, olives, and cheese, this homey, one-skillet wonder hits the spot at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Serve it hot or at room temperature, sliced into wedges.
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium Yellow Onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 lb. red potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 c. chopped green olives
- 1/4 lb. aged Manchego cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 10- or 12-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Working in batches, add half of potatoes in an even layer and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add eggs and olives to reserved onion-potato mixture, and gently stir to combine.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Over medium heat, heat remaining olive oil. Add half of reserved potato-onion-egg mixture to skillet, smoothing with the back of a spoon to create an even layer. Top with cheese; then cover with remaining potato mixture, smoothing with the back of a spoon to create an even layer. Cook for 10 minutes on stovetop, then transfer skillet to oven.
- Bake until eggs are set and potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Adjust oven to broil and cook tortilla until top is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate and cut into 6 or 12 wedges. Serve hot or at room temperature.