Simple Egg Roast
A simple South Indian side dish from Ruchik Randhap that any one can make!
- 4 hard boiled eggs shelled & halved
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 large onion or 2 smalls ones finely chopped
- juice of half a lime
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee for frying
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnishing optional
For the marination
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilly powder adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- salt to taste approx 1 level teaspoon
- Place all ingredients mentioned under ‘For the marination’ in a bowl, add a little water to make a thick paste. Marinate all the hard boiled egg halves with this paste and keep aside for a 5 minutes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a wide based frying pan and toss in the curry leaves. Fry for a couple of seconds and then add the chopped onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Place the marinated egg halves and fry on a very slow flame for about 8-10 minutes, flipping the sides halfway through the frying time. Sprinkle a little water to help the masala to fry. Adjust seasoning if required.
- When the eggs have browned on both sides sprinkle lime juice and give it a gentle mix. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot as a side dish with rice and dal.