Grilled Beer Brats and Sauerkraut
Looking for a new way to cook your Bratwurst? Try out this recipe from The Hungry Bluebird to take your BBQ to the next level of deliciousness.
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 12 oz Beer
- 1 cup Onion coarsely chopped
- 2 Sweet Banana Peppers seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs Sauerkraut drained
- 12 Bratwurst
- 12 Buns
- Dusseldorf mustard or other mustard
- Prepare grill, either gas or charcoal. If charcoal, set up coals to one side.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a disposable aluminum pan (at least 2 quart capacity, preferably 10-by-13-by3 inch). Add beer, onions, peppers and sauerkraut; mix well. Place the pan on the cool side of grill.
- Place the brats on grill and sear on all sides, being careful not to pierce the casings. When they're seared and have good grill marks, transfer to sauerkraut mixture in aluminum pan; nestling each brat down into mixture and covering with the sauerkraut.
- Cover the pan tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil, close lid, and cook for 40 – 45 minutes. Remove from grill and serve: either plated or on buns, with mustard and sauerkraut piled on. Enjoy!