Cheesy Zucchini Rice
Try this great side dish from Buns in My Oven to use up some of your garden zucchini, but the best part is, with all that cheese everyone will love it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium zucchini shredded
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of milk as needed
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Toast the rice, stirring often, just until it starts to turn golden.
- Pour in the chicken broth, bring to a boil, turn heat to low, and cover.
- Cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and quickly add the butter, grated zucchini, cheddar, and garlic powder.
- Cover and let set for 10 minutes. It’s important to cover the rice again quickly to retain some of the steam from cooking.
- Uncover the rice, stir well to combine, and add salt and pepper to taste. If you’d like the rice to have a thinner texture, add a splash of milk.